HE death of Meles Zenawi, Ethiopia’s prime minister, on August 20th reveals much about the country he created. Details of his ill health remained a secret until the end. A short broadcast on state television, late by a day, informed Ethiopians that their “visionary leader” of the past 21 years was gone. He died of an unspecified “sudden infection” somewhere abroad. No further information was given. In the two months since the prime minister’s last public appearance the only Ethiopian newspaper that reported his illness was pulped, its office closed, and its editor arrested. Further details of Mr Meles’s death surfaced only when an EU official confirmed that he died in a Brussels hospital. A towering figure on Africa’s political scene, he leaves much uncertainty in his wake. Ethiopia, where power has changed hands only three times since the second world war, always by force, now faces a tricky transition period. . He went into the bush as Legesse Zenawi and emerged as “Meles”—a nom de guerre he had taken in tribute to a murdered comrade.
- War Dag Dag ah:-Qarax Caawa Lala beegsaday Xerada Xerta Ee Magaalada Laascaanood
- Suicide bombers kill at least six in Somali capital
- Ugu horeyn inta aynaan u gonda degin mawduuceenan waxaan door biday inaynu bal horta isla fahamno waxa uu yahay Kansarku iyo halka uu salka ku hayo sharax koobana ka bixino Wejiyada kala duwan ee uu soo maro, waxyaalaha dhaliya iyo doorka ay ka ciyaaraan Unugyada Jidhkeenu ka samaysan yahay. By: Mj. Hersi Osman. Sawirada
- Somalia inaugurates elected president after 20 years of strife.
- Alshabaab oo Kismaayo Iskaga baxday?
Mr WordPress on Hello world!